Monday, July 09, 2012

You'll Want to Diverge from the Series . . .

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I assume the Divergent series is a trilogy, because this book has all sorts of "middle" problems. The plot becomes convoluted and confusing and events seem to be more convenient than realistic. Characters do things that don't make sense because the plot demands it, and the emotional arc is more like a series of mood swings.

The book is also troubled with the same kind of technical errors I cited in my review of Divergent: careless geography and weak world-building. We learn at the end of this book a little more about the world outside Chicago (well, that it exists), which just highlights the fact that no one has asked any questions or mentioned anything about it until this point. Which feels like lazy writing to me. Once again, I want to know where the editor was: under the influence of a simulation in which this book appears better than it is?

I think I'm most disappointed because what started out with an interesting premise and engaging characters has by this point completely fallen apart. I wanted this to be a good book, and I'm peeved that it could have been, but isn't.

Rather than experience my disappointment, go read a better book. Try Unwind or The Testament of Jessie Lamb instead.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home