Monday, July 09, 2012

Yeah, I've Been Doing Some Reading

For a while it seemed that I was finding little or no time to read; finishing a book took months. This was so alien to who I am--the girl who used to go to the library and take home as many books as she could carry who grew up to be the girl whose most valuable benefit was the employee discount on books--as to be troubling. And in fact it was symptomatic of stress, unhappiness, mild depression. But the corner has been turned, and so has the page. I've been reading like a maniac.

And once started, ebooks make it oh, so easy to continue. See an interesting review? Download a sample chapter right away so I don't forget the book. Finished one book in a series/by an author that I really enjoy? Download the next one and start reading on the spot. Inexplicably awake in the night? No need to go out to get a book. My iPad and/or my Nook live beside the bed at night. I still buy print books (brought home a pile from Wiscon, mostly anthologies) but increasingly, ebooks are becoming a bigger percentage of what I read. All the convenience factors above, and I don't have to find more shelf space.

Anyway, that's why you are seeing my Goodreads reviews here. Not all of them, just some: books I particularly want to recommend, books that made me think about something, and books that disappointed me for a specific reason. Not that this is turning into a book blog; just want to share now that I am reading--and feeling like myself again after a long hiatus from myselfness--again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home